Authentic Mexican Pork Tamale Recipe
Summary: This is part one of the authentic Mexican pork tamale recipes. This is how you will prepare the pork for the inside of your tamale recipe.
Step ONE: Preparing the Pork for Authentic Mexican Pork Tamale Recipes
Prepared the night before….
Ingredients for preparing pork:
• 6 lbs. pork shoulder, cut through bone
• 6 lbs. pork butt
• 4 tbsp. salt
• 2 whole garlic heads, skins removed
Directions for Preparing Pork:
1. Combine all ingredients in a large pot with enough water to cover the pork butt.
2. Bring it to a boil and simmer all night (7 hours) with a very low flame.
3. Meat will fall off the bone.
STEP TWO: Preparing the Chili for the Chili Sauce
Ingredients for Preparing Chili:
• 20 chili pasilla-dried
• 6 chili
Directions to prepare the chili
The seeds and veins are very hot, so you must remove all of the seeds and as much of the vein as possible.
Wearing rubber gloves, wash the chilies well.
Put into a large pot with a lid and cover the chili with some boiling water and set OVERNIGHT.
STEP THREE: Soaking the Corn Husks for Authentic Mexican Pork Tamale Recipe
Soak 2 packages of corn husks in a large container of very hot water.
STEP FOUR: Preparing the Chili Sauce and Pork Meat for Authentic Mexican Pork Tamale Recipe
Ingredients for Preparing Chili Sauce:
• Chili soaking in pot
• Pork Meat from Earlier
• 4 tbsp. cumin seed (grind in molcajete)
• 2 tsp. whole oregano (crumble leaves)
• 1 cinnamon stick
• 1 med. onion, cut in quarters
• 1 whole garlic head, peeled and cleaned
• Salt to taste
Directions to Prepare Chili Sauce and Pork:
1. Heat a saucepan large enough to hold the meat and the sauce on low heat.
2. In a blender or food processor, add a handful of the soaked chiles with 1 1/2 cups of the reserved meat broth and puree.
3. Pour puree into the heated saucepan and raise the heat.
4. Continue the puree process until the final batch; in the final batch, add remaining ingredients and puree.
5. Add the final batch to the sauce pan.
6. When the sauce boils, add the shredded meat and cook until the meat comes to a boil.
7. Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring constantly.
8. If the meat needs more liquid, add small amounts of the reserved meat broth
9. Meat is ready to be removed from the stove for tamales.
STEP FIVE: Preparing the Masa for Authentic Mexican Pork Tamale Recipe
Ingredients for Masa:
12 lbs. prepared masa (fresh corn prepared masa)
1/2 cup meat broth
2 tbsp. baking powder
1 tbsp. salt (crumble leaves)
1 cup lard (melted)
1 medium onion, quartered
Directions for preparing the masa:
Use Masa the same day you purchase it.
With your hands knead the dough until the masa expands and is very fluffy.
Add more broth a small amount at a time to get desired consistency.
STEP SIX: Assemble the Authentic Mexican Pork Tamale Recipe
1. Shake the corn husks well to remove any excess water and pick the silk off, path them dry with a towel and let them air dry standing up.
2. Smear a thin coat of masa over the widest part of the husk.
3. Spread 1 generous tablespoon of pork filling down the middle of the masa.
4. Fold the right side over the filling and then fold, or roll the left side over the previously folded side
5. Fold the pointy side (no masa is there) of the husk down over the tamale.
6. Tie with a thin strip of corn husk to hold together.
STEP SEVEN: Steaming the Authentic Mexican Pork Tamale Recipe
1. Place a mound of extra husks or a foil ball in the center of a steamer basket placed in a Dutch oven.
2. Lean the tamales in the basket, the open side needs to be facing up.
3. Add water to Dutch oven just below the basket.
4. Bring the water to boil, reduce heat, cover and steam for 40 minutes.
- See more at: http://www.webnuggetz.com/authentic-mexican-pork-tamale-recipe/#sthash.scLlt3Qu.dpuf